Monday, January 21, 2008

Managing the Eating

The Picture above pretty much describes how I feel all the time now. It's difficult to transition back to normal healthy life after eating like a cow due to 3 and 4 hr rides regularly. But I'm getting closer. And in response to the goals question, mine are these:

1) High Nutrient-Calorie Ratio. I believe I often get out of whack because I eat the High Glycemic index foods first (or snack on them), and it changes my appetite. Snack on Fruits and Vegetables. Eat Fruits and Vegetables first during meals before eating the other stuff.

2) Portion Control (Especially on the Carbs). I like eating plates of pasta. My body has always done well with carbs and lots of them. But it does affect the way I feel. Not enough, and I feel totally drained without energy; too much, and I just want to sit on the couch and eat ice cream. Neither are good, healthy, or solid lifelong decisions. So I'm going to try to figure out what a reasonable serving size is, and limit my intake to just that. Only eat these at meals, thus snacking on?...produce.

But someday, I will find a burrito like the one pictured above, and I will straight dominate it.

4 comments:

Steve Cullum said...

Come to Elgin when we move back, and I'll show you a burrito.

Sam said...

I'm in. See you there.

Sandy said...

That's a burrito?

Good goals on the eating. Looking at my snacks and meals from the GI load has really helped me manage hunger and mindless snacking this past year - trying to banish high GI carbs and balance the carbs I do eat with protein and fiber, and using nuts a lot more for snacking.

On the nutrient dense issue, since posting my goals, I'm doing a lot better at getting fresh fruit back in my diet - replacing some of my splenda sweetened ice cream and cereal with strawberries & bananas, grabbing apples for snacks.
But even though I have abt 4-5 salads a week, beyond that I haven't appreciably increased my RAW veggie intake. I need to work on making the raw veggie appetizer a lunch and dinner a habit, not just a once a week deal. I think I polished off a bag of Baked Tostitos by myself this week - NOT nutrient dense. Better not buy those again for quite a while.

Steve & Liz are moving back to Chicago area?

Steve Cullum said...

Yeah, back to Judson come fall. I'm going to finish the Master's, Liz may or may not do the same.