Sunday, September 07, 2008

Fitness Joy





Pool swims were nixed several days last week because of storms, so late afternoon on Labor Day, I biked to the beach for an open water swim to see if all my hours of drag-reduction swim drills had netted me anything.  

I was surprised to find I had the water all to myself.  A few people were grabbing the remaining rays of afternoon, but most, apparently had figured their holiday was over.   Gustov had supplied a stronger than usual undertow close to the shore, but once I got beyond the line of cresting waves, the water felt incredibly calm.  I swam parallel the shore for awhile, basking in the sun, the salt, and the silent rhythm of the waves, before trudging through the sand to shower, slide my feet in my shoes, and start home.  I couldn't help but give thanks for the privilege of living in such a beautiful place where I can bike to the beach in 15 minutes to swim in the glorious Gulf.




The view west from the top of Sand Key Bridge.



Avian picnic inside Sand Key Park



One of the Art Deco mansions (yes?, Steve)  on, where else?, Belleair Beach.  


Transport along the intercoastal , from the Ulmerton/Walsingham bridge.



Belleair Beach, of course....one of my favorite venues for viewing Christmas lights. 



I like that I was able to frame the Clearwater Causeway Bridge with the Sand Key Bridge in this view from the northern end of Sand Key Park, but what I especially like are the feathered party crashers.

"The heavens declare the glory of God..."  


I was so involved in watching what I thought were manatees, ( the dark spots a few feet out from the boat) tease the boaters and swimmers, that I missed the very best shots.  I'll have to do some research on that incident.  Dolphins, I've seen plenty of times in this particular area, but I wasn't aware of manatees showing up here before.  Their size and color made me go with manatees - along with the fact that they didn't breach the water the way dolphins usually do, but when I look at this photo I'm not sure.  This is the intercoastal side of the Sand Key Bridge.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I am pretty sure this blog along with many other things made your son more than ready for a visit home. Hopefully we will see you soon!! love
ya