Monday, July 10, 2006

Great week (end)


If you read the last post, you'll know that this was an important week to get back on the horse. Turns out, it was a great week. I had a relatively unsuccessful 10k (42:09), but realized I was simply being a little too tough on myself. I decided to ease up on worrying about pace and enjoy the runs and workouts. Well, apparently I'm a friggin' genius!
Just playin', but it's amazing how much easier exercise is when one is not putting ridiculous time demands on oneself. For instance, the run thursday night (7.5 miles): I was taking it easy, ended up running around 7:20/mile. Good pace for a mid-tempo run. Saturday, I just decided to have fun and run with some folks at Todds Road and did 13 miles at about a 7:45 pace (this ends up being right on target with my marathon plan). So I guess my point is to take it easy on yourself if you're getting out there and doing what you can. That's really a great deal more what it's about than some insane time goal.

So the week consisted of great workouts, wednesday night was a 30-min elliptical machine workout post race, friday had a work commute and a home commute plus (33.5 miles total) followed by a shoulder workout and a little bit of swimming. Saturday was 13 miles, followed by riding the bike to and from the gym around a leg workout. But sunday was great. I went and ran at one of my favorite places, Raven Run nature sanctuary. The pictures are withing (taken in spring). There's nothing quite so nice as getting out and pushing yourself and enjoying nature.

Enjoy the pictures, and get out and enjoy your surroundings.

No comments: