Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Breaking It Down Brings a Question


This first part is minutae probably no one but me finds interesting. The question is at the end.


As part of my mental preparation for this first triathlon, I have tried to break down into manageable bits all the parts of the challenge I know to be new to me, and experience or simulate them as much as possible before the race, so I can hopefully sleep better the night before the race and thoroughly enjoy the event. So here are some of my "little bits of NEW".



  • David and I rode the St. Leo bicycle course on Memorial Day morning. No blazing speed, but now I know I don't need to fear the hills -riding the overpasses on the Pinellas trail have been decent prep. Making the 90 degree turns at a high speed at the bottom of at least one of those hills is a challenge that will have to wait until race day.

  • I've learned to shift into and out of the largest/greatest resistance front sprocket - something I had no need/desire for until I wanted to maximize the "flying-down-the-hill" energy.

  • I've practiced riding most of my 15 mile prep bike course using the low hand grips on this first road bike I've ever owned.

  • I've practiced drinking while pedaling - another thing I hadn't done at all on this bike prior to tri training.

  • I got and have been wearing a pair of swim goggles to swim laps.

  • I did an open water swim with Kyle in the Gulf of Mexico, staying in a depth where I had to swim or tread water for about 50 minutes. While the salt water made for a great bouyancy I won't have on race day, the wave swells made breathing air instead of water a challenge - I shouldn't panic at the beginning of the swim now when flailing feet and arms make the water churn. Thanks, Kyle and Michelle!

I also want to wear a cap for at least one of my swims and run later in the morning than I've been going, so I can give a "you've already done this, you can do it today" response to any negative self talk complaining about the heat and sun when I'm running. I also want to do one or two days of swim/bike/run in the order I'll be facing them.


So here's my question for the experienced triathletes, posed as I pushed the pedals on the return portion of my ride this morning, bypassing the bathroom in favor of an accurate time assessment: Have you ever peed while pedaling (after checking aft traffic, of course)? Did you regret it?

photo c.1997 Whetstone Photography Paul Jarrio 864-647-6500 (my first whitewater rafting experience)



2 comments:

Sam said...

It is pretty common for triathletes to pee on the bike. That said, I've never done it. I'm competitive, but have never been looking to qualify for Kona or anything. I rarely have to go, but if you do, they say it's good to have an extra water bottle with you to rinse off as you're doing it.
Keeps the smell down and keeps you cleaner.

Anonymous said...

go for it Sandy!!! that will be a great story to tell the grand kids when they're adults!!! haha