Thursday, October 16, 2008

First Cyclocross Ride


So I've known about this thing called Cyclocross for a long time. It's a variation of road and off-road riding (but mostly off-road). The frames are essentially road frames with knobby tires and less air pressure. So last night, I borrowed a friend's new cross bike and met up for the local ride at the park. I was told it would be a suffer-fest, but it wasn't too bad. I'm sure it will be worse at other times. The excitement and adrenaline keeps you going. There's nothing quite like riding down steep slopes and having to make sharp turns, knowing all the while that if you miss the turn or take it too fast, you end up in the lake. Lots and lots of fun! It's pretty similar to riding motorcycles with all the bouncing and adrenaline rising as you do things you're not totally sure are possible. I've got the bike for about 4 weeks and I intend to ride the crap out of it.

In other news, I'm looking forward to next spring already. Fall is fast upon us, and it is very nice, but winter weighs heavy on the former Floridian's Mind. Below is a picture from my autumn ride home tuesday night.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Another adventure! Brings back memories of your famous ATV Croom adventure
Nice pic ....I can almost breathe in the crispness...