Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Law, Freedom, and Open-Water swimming



You know what can really get somebody fired up? Karst Topography. That's right, it's a geological term describing a system where most of the water in an area is contained underground in sinkholes, caves, and aquifers. The problem is that if you've got an aspiring triathlete who wants to work on his open-water swimming, Lexington is a crappy place.

Back where I grew up in FL, I could just go hop in the gulf (or a lake if I was feeling frisky to fight some gators) if the need for an open water swim hit. But now, my only nearby option is the picture attached. It's a reservoir for Lexington's public water supply and is fenced off around almost the entire perimeter. The one weak point is a private fishing club (ya I know, right) with a pier out into the water where the arrow is pointing.

I figured this out on an out-of the way bike ride home yesterday (little recon for the kids). Now here are the issues: 1) the fencing off of the area is an unspoken "don't you dare swim in here", but there are no signs posted. However, the only entry point is the fishing club, which does have signs posted like "members only beyond this point" going out to the pier and such, but no explicit signs are posted. 2) I don't want to get arrested, and 3) I would swim in the KY river, but there was a news report yesterday to avoid the river because Meth Labs (yes, I'm serious) upriver are dumping their effluent into the river.

Soooo, the question is, do I risk it and just run out there at some point and hop in and start swimming? More to come on this later. I think I need to move to the beach, hurricanes be da&*ed.

No comments: