Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Bugs and Money



These little schmucks are forcing me to get rid of hard-earned cash. It's impossible to get a good training ride around here without riding around horse/cattle/tobacco farms. The aesthetic quality of the rides is wonderful. Eating bugs with my eyes is not. Every morning ride I do, it's as if there's some gravitational pull toward the middle of my eye. There's no good way to remove said bug from eye until reaching destination, finding a mirror, pulling back the skin around my eye, and digging out the now eye-juice saturated black lump of organic mass. Disgusting and painful. It usually takes half an hour to stop looking like an Eastern Kentucky Oxycontin dealer with my prolific red eyes.
The solution: of course, another pair of glasses to shield the eyes. But when it's barely light outside, it's difficult to use the shaded glasses. Aaahh, the savings dwindles by another $30-$40.
I wonder if I need to buy a bug-screen for my mouth to keep them out of there? Nah, I'll just eat 'em (involuntarily) or spit them out

4 comments:

Bill said...

Funny. We have the same problem here in western Kentucky. What are the odds of that? ;)

My problem is that I sweat so much than any sunglasses are rendered useless within the first 15 minutes of the ride. And it's always the 37 minute point of the ride that I catch the bug in the same spot as you.

It's a conspiracy, I tell you. A conspiracy.

Bullet said...

I'm lucky, my shades come with clear lenses I can insert. And as for sweat rendering your shades useless. See my post on this: http://crewdthoughts.blogspot.com/2007/05/favorite-product-of-month-award.html

Anonymous said...

I once got a mosquito in my eye which caused it to swell shut. What is an athlete to do?

massage recliners

Sam said...

nice.