Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Sandy's Shakes

This post is to answer a request for a shake receipe. The items above are the ingredients I use for the "Pink Protein Smoothie" - recipe below.


This picture is for convincing Isaac that ground flaxseed can come in many different packages, not just the yellow bag. We can even grind our own seeds if we want to.


The Pink Protein Smoothie:

3/4 - 1 cup of soy (or cow) milk
3/4 - 1 cup non-fat plain yogurt (I use fruit flavored if I haven't enough real fruit, but prefer plain)
1 scoop (abt 1/4 c)EAS whey protein powder (Vanilla)
(Sam's Club and probably Wal-Mart carries it - per serving its a very economical way of getting lean whey protein in lots of every day dishes)
1 - 1 1/2 cup frozen sliced strawberries (sliced are easier to blend than whole)
1 banana (frozen or room temp)
1-2 T ground flax seed (for the omega 3's and fiber)
4-6 ice cubes

I usually add 1 Tbls Carlson's lemon flavored fish oil for the Omega 3 oils - it adds to smoothness and doesn't taste fishy at all.

It seems easier to blend if I put the soy milk in first, then layer the fruit, protein and flax with the yogurt and ice. This will make 3-5 cups of DELICIOUS protein & calcium packed smoothie, with good amounts of Omega 3, potassium and vitamin C.
If you leave some of this in the fridge for a few hours, it will turn brownish because of the banana, but it still tastes great -- good to throw in a couple drops of red food color before blending leftovers for the kids.


Mocha Protein Shake

1 cup cold leftover coffee (the stronger, the better)
1/2 -1 cup soy (or cow) milk
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
2-4 ice cubes
opttional: 1/2-1 tsp cocoa powder (NOT hot chocolate mix)

My first experiment with a peanut butter flavored protein shake was not worth repeating (I used coffee in the liquid), but I imagine 1 cup of milk or yogurt with 1 scoop of protein powder (either vanilla or chocolate) and 2 Tbls peanut butter along with some ice cubes would taste good. Anybody got a good peanut butter combo?

2 comments:

Steve Cullum said...

I'd been thinking lately about adding protein shakes to my vegetarian diet, but didn't have a clue where to start. I can't wait to try the mocha one!

Sam said...

Peanut butter shakes. I recommend chocolate powder, one banana, and some PB to taste. Liquid of your choice.

One tip I've learned. A spoonful of frozen yogurt or ice cream if you're not worried about the calories can really liven up a nasty protein shake. those recipes do look good though.